Google

NONE: ONLINE-ADS>> Re: Modem Media's Proposed New Ad Model

ONLINE-ADS>> Re: Modem Media's Proposed New Ad Model

Daniel Sroka (dan_at_yahoo.com)
Wed, 25 Sep 1996 09:38:39 -0700

jeff_at_webpower.com (Jeff Diehl) wrote:
>This is just the next step in the trend toward accountability that is
>demanded when technology allows it. In the past, traditional media (print,
>TV) have had the luxury of the excuse of unaccountability

"luxury of the excuse of unaccountability"?? Please. So are you saying that
if I make an advertisement for a hemerroid product and put it in a teen
magazine, the magazine is responsible for my lack of sales? Come on!

Media provide qualified audiences to the advertiser. That is all. The more
qualified they are, they higher the value of the product. Beyond that,
results are the responsibility of the advertiser. If an advertiser
purchases ad space without paying attention to the quality and the
appropriateness of the media's audience, they are not doing their job.

"Clickthrough" is not the only desired result of an online ad. The goal of
many (most?) advertisments is the building and maintaining of a brand,
association of product to audience, etc. Media cannot be responsible for
"results" because most results are intangible.

Dan Sroka

(These opinions are my own, etc, etc.)

------------------------------- I'm Yahoo!ing right now. -------
Daniel Sroka, Creative Yahoo
Yahoo! Incorporated
3400 Central Expressway, Suite #201, Santa Clara, CA 95051
Email: dan_at_yahoo.com Ph: (408) 731-3409 Fax: (408) 731-3537

This week's Online Advertising Discussion List sponsors:

"The Ad From Hell" is just one of 11 songs that poke fun at marketing.
Check out http://www.bizblues.com for an ideal gift for anyone in the biz.
It's great blues music.

Need quick answers? Get a copy of the Roadmap and find your way around
click-through, banner design, and much more: http://www.cyberatlas.com