Google

NONE: ONLINE-ADS>> Re: Modem Media's Proposed New Ad Model

ONLINE-ADS>> Re: Modem Media's Proposed New Ad Model

Jeff Diehl (jeff_at_webpower.com)
Thu, 26 Sep 1996 09:28:17 -0800

>jeff_at_webpower.com (Jeff Diehl) wrote:
>>This is just the next step in the trend toward accountability that is
>>demanded when technology allows it. In the past, traditional media (print,
>>TV) have had the luxury of the excuse of unaccountability
>
>"luxury of the excuse of unaccountability"?? Please. So are you saying that
>if I make an advertisement for a hemerroid product and put it in a teen
>magazine, the magazine is responsible for my lack of sales? Come on!

Absolutely not. Perhaps you missed the point of my post, but a magazine is
_old media_. Magazines are _not_ accountable because results of advertising
in them are intangible, and _that_ is why the notion that media only
delivers eyeballs came into being in the first place. With no promises or
claims to guaranteed sales conversions, magazines have very little to live
up to.

>Media provide qualified audiences to the advertiser. That is all. The more
>qualified they are, they higher the value of the product. Beyond that,
>results are the responsibility of the advertiser.

Well put, in the context of old media. The Web can do much much more
though, can't it?

>"Clickthrough" is not the only desired result of an online ad. The goal of
>many (most?) advertisments is the building and maintaining of a brand,
>association of product to audience, etc. Media cannot be responsible for
>"results" because most results are intangible.

Brand identity is important to the big advertisers, but I think even to
them it will become much less so as marketing shifts toward accountability.
The bottom line is, after all, sales. That's ultimately what brand identity
is supposed to provide, if in a diluted, temporally distributed form.

Jeff Diehl (jeff_at_webpower.com) WebPower Inc
Media Director San Francisco, CA

This week's Online Advertising Discussion List sponsors:

"The Ad From Hell" is just one of 11 songs that poke fun at marketing.
Check out http://www.bizblues.com for an ideal gift for anyone in the biz.
It's great blues music.

Need quick answers? Get a copy of the Roadmap and find your way around
click-through, banner design, and much more: http://www.cyberatlas.com