Google

NONE: ONLINE-ADS>> Re: Types of Web ads?

ONLINE-ADS>> Re: Types of Web ads?

Bob Wyman (bobwyman_at_healthgate.com)
Fri, 27 Sep 1996 13:20:08 -0400

Keith E. Casner wrote:
> At InfoWorld Electric, we offer ad medallions which are arranged in
> a vertical column along the right side of the editorial copy. [...]
There
> are a variety of interesting ramifications in terms of expected
> impressions and clickthroughs compared to banners, ...

Certainly, the click-rates on your medalions will vary depending on
their position relative to the top of the page or, sometimes,
relative to content in other columns on the page. Just as ads "below
the fold" in newspapers are less effective than those higher on the
page, the position of an ad on a web page is significant and effects
the click-yield of the ad. For some evidence of this, read Steve
Outing's column at
<URL:http://www.mediainfo.com/ephome/news/newshtm/stop/stop429.htm>
where he discusses some research done by RealMedia. He states, in
part: "Ads placed by Real Media on newspaper sites that are within
that coveted first-screen space are getting clickthrough rates of
3.5-4%, says Morgan. The rate for those placed below the first
screen: a dismal 0.5%." (see note below)

Given that the response to ads depends on position, it would seem
reasonable that advertisers who place medalions into multi-ad
vertical spots should insist that the publisher do one of two things:
1. Randomly rotate the relative position of medalions within the
spot to ensure that no single ad consistently gets the preferred
(higher yield) position. Or,
2. Allow advertisers to purchase specific positions within the spot
and charge them based on the historically discovered relative
performance of the spots. (NOTE: you can sanity check the historical
numbers at any time simply by taking any single set of ads and
running them on a random placement rotation for 2,000 or 3,000
impressions.)

bob wyman

Note: Many people seem to have been taken by surprise recently when
DoubleClick reported on "ad burn out". However, it should be noted
that Steve Outing reported on this effect quite some time ago in his
column for April 29-30, 1996.
-----
HealthGate Data Corp.
<URL:http://www.healthgate.com/>

This week's Online Advertising Discussion List sponsors:

"The Ad From Hell" is just one of 11 songs that poke fun at marketing.
Check out http://www.bizblues.com for an ideal gift for anyone in the biz.
It's great blues music.

Need quick answers? Get a copy of the Roadmap and find your way around
click-through, banner design, and much more: http://www.cyberatlas.com