Google

NONE: Re: ONLINE-ADS>> value of requested ad vs. pushed ad?

Re: ONLINE-ADS>> value of requested ad vs. pushed ad?

Chris Olin (olin_at_ipro.com)
Wed, 16 Apr 1997 16:58:30 -0700

At 10:58 AM 4/16/97 -0400, you wrote:
>I expect the value relation between pushed and pulled ads would vary from ad
>to ad, advertiser to advertiser and site to site, i.e. be totally
>negotiable, so instead of assigning an arbitrary relation, I would suggest
>reporting ad impressions in total and by push & pull and letting the parties
>decide case by case. That assumes that you _can_ measure push & pull. Can you?

>From what I have heard so far, this is not measureable with a basic site
setup. I had hoped that there would be a difference in the logging between
an ad that was actively requested by a user, and one that was "pushed" to
the user.

In many cases, however, the mechanism used to push the ad to the user
appears to the server like a regular request. The way it works is that when
an HTML page is setup, there is a META tag that tells the browser that the
page will expire after a certain amount of time. Then the browser requests
the page from the server again. Unfortunately, the log file doesn't show
the difference between a user-initiated request and an automatic
browser-initiated request. At least not yet!

Does anyone have a technical solution that would allow this to be logged?

Chris

Christopher Olin, Senior Product Manager Tel: (415) 228-4421 (direct)
I/PRO - Internet Profiles Corporation (415) 228-4400 (general)
URL http://www.ipro.com Fax: (415) 975-5818