Google

NONE: Re: ONLINE-ADS>> How much content is enough?...ad supported messages

Re: ONLINE-ADS>> How much content is enough?...ad supported messages

Steve Hall (shall_at_harpell.com)
9 May 1997 14:04:23 -0500

Anita Spigulas wrote:

>I am a staunch advocate of linking banners to a microsite rather than a
>home page. Microsites enable you to target your message to a particular
>audience that may not be interested in your entire site. They allow you to
>create a promotion or contest without burying it somewhere in your site.

I agree wholeheartedly and have had tremendous success using Microsites or
Jump Pages for our clients. It has become more and more difficult to grab the
attention of the "mature" web audience and it is imperative that when that
user click on a banner or link, they are taken immediately to the "pay off",
if you will, of the banner message.

Another effective approach, for large content rich sites, is to use banners
to promote specific, individual areas or channels of a clients site that link
directly to those areas of the site. As sites migrate into the Channel model,
each Channel itself becomes a separately promoteable area with the overall
site.

In this medium, immediacy is key! There is far too much useless content on the
web today and to expect users to expend extra effort simply to navigate to the
appropriate area of a web site (or microsite) when they should have been
linked there in the first place.

So...link intelligently when embarking upon a web site promotion campaign.
Whether it be a Jump Page, Microsite, or Channel of a web site, intelligent
linking strategies can greatly increase the success of a campaign and lessen
the ire of frustrated Web users.

Stephen A. Hall Email: shall_at_harpell.com
Media Director Voice: (508) 371-1510
Harpell/Martins & Company Fax: (508) 369-7561
66 Commonwealth Ave. Web: http://www.harpell.com
Concord, MA 01742
****Strategy Driven/Results Oriented Marketing Communications****