Google

NONE: Re: ONLINE-ADS>> Search engines dropped my site

Re: ONLINE-ADS>> Search engines dropped my site

Kim Brooks (kbrooks_at_cortland.com)
Tue, 04 Nov 1997 13:29:56 -0800

At 11:07 AM 11/4/97 -0500, John McDonnell wrote:
>My Web site (http://www.geocities.com/WallStreet/6100) didn't show up at
>all today on Infoseek, Hotbot, Excite, and Lycos. It's still listed with
>AltaVista, Webcrawler, and Yahoo. ...

Auto-spiders (like all you list but Yahoo) may drop you for a number a
reasons. If they spidered while your site was down, they will immediately
remove you from their database. Even if your site is up, but too slow to
respond to requests, they assume it's gone. Since you are hosted at
Geocities, high traffic to another site on the same server or slow
bandwidth/bad server performance in general could lead to this. Sadly,
even InterNIC problems make the spider think you're gone. If someone
searching finds your site & can't connect (we've all gotten bad links from
search engines), they may complain & the URL would be removed.

As for Yahoo, some human has to remove it if it was already listed. Again,
someone may have complained if the link was broken for any period. Or
their periodic checks may have filtered you out if they couldn't connect.

Have you had any such problems? Geocities is notorious for spotty server
performance. The only solution, regardless of cause, is to resubmit. I
resubmit my client sites at least every quarter anyway -- your site
changes, its description changes, pages are added... you want search
engines to stay current. So look on the bright side: now your listings
will be fresh!

Kim Brooks
Bardo Interactive Marketing