Google

NONE: Re: ONLINE-ADS>> Yahoo Pushing Porn

Re: ONLINE-ADS>> Yahoo Pushing Porn

Kevin (kevin_at_obgyn.net)
Wed, 05 Nov 1997 11:38:22 -0600

Oliver Willis wrote:

> Received the following disturbing info :
>
> ATTRACT PAYING MEMBERS! ADVERTISE ON YAHOO! ADULT CHAT
> If you're an adult webmaster that is committed to building your
> membership base, ..................................

I've been following this thread for a while and though I would add my
$.02 worth.It is not disturbing to me that Yahoo provides target
marketing within sexually related search results pages, nor is it
disturbing to me that people are trying to make money on the Internet
marketing these sites. Based on the results I've seen posted about the
most used search words, it is obvious that there is a market for these
types of businesses. And as far as I know, they have a right to exist,
to a point. As long as there is a market, there will be providers of
these services.

Now, I do hope that there is or will be some sort control in place as
far as banner content on ads that can be seen by anyone of any age doing
a simple search and I hope that there are regulations in place to keep
anyone from getting access to the type of information or pictures as it
was described in the first post in this thread.

What is more worrisome to me are the types of keywords that will bring
up these types of ads. We run a site <http://www.obgyn.net> solely
dedicated to Obstetrics, Gynecology & Women's Health for Medical
Professionals and Women/Patients, (recommended by Better Homes &
Gardens; Nov. 97 and one of only 30 three star sites chosen by
Encyclopedia Britannica Online) and as you can imagine there are many
words that relate to the human anatomy that related to material on our
site.

I am curious as to how many people looking for information of our nature
that are seeing these ads, not to mention if our mothers, sisters or
mates run into these types of results. It can tend to give the internet
a bad rap, as it has had in the past, as just a place to download
pornography.

Does anyone know if Yahoo has any measures in place to determine which
group of searchers get these types of messages. I bet not.

This is the fundamental problem with this type of banner targeting. If
someone is looking for pornographic material, I have no problem in
anyone marketing related services to them, business is business, but
what about women and medical professional looking for medical
information related to women's health issues?

--
Kevin Leathers  --  Sales & Marketing Dir.  --  <http://www.obgyn.net>
     --  mailto:kevin_at_obgyn.net  --  Phone:(512)451-2842  --

---------------------------------------------------------------------- This week's Online Advertising Discussion List sponsor:

The Internet Advertising Report provides daily columns on every aspect of Web advertising and marketing. It is updated daily and available in a weekly newsletter. Subscribe at: http://www.internetnews.com/IAR