Google

NONE: Re: ONLINE-ADS>> How to SELL web advertising

Re: ONLINE-ADS>> How to SELL web advertising

William Greene (William.Greene_at_Grizzard.com)
Mon, 27 Apr 1998 10:37:29 -0400

"Bob Brown" <bbrown_at_netgravity.com> wrote:

>This is really the old question of Direct Marketing Advertising versus
>Institutional Ads. All the "great" awards go to to wonderful glossy
>pictures with no selling but lots of cool stuff and all of the money
>goes to those who measure by "Show me the money".

I think Bob is hitting the head of the nail that's sticking out of the
tip of the iceberg (how's *that* for mixing my metaphors?). Direct
Marketing has, indeed, proven that "you can determine the effectiveness
of advertising and cut your losses quickly if you need to" - the issue
is *how* to translate traditional offline DM methods to the Internet
arena.

The issue is targetability. I can't tell you how many clients we've had
to deal with that aren't just interested in reaching certain interest
group categories - they want to reach them in certain ZIP codes, too.
Now, I can do this with some opt-in email lists, but then I have the
problem of only being able to target categories with specific products -
what if I'm doing a fundraising campaign for The Salvation Army (our
largest client, BTW), which has to be targeted according to geographic
location of the recipient? I haven't found an opt-in list under the
category of "people who want to be asked to donate money".

I can do a banner ad campaign, but that only works well for larger
geographic regions (e.g., after the recent tornadoes, I could run
fundraising ads on sites targeting all of Alabama, but there's not much
available for just targeting, say, Birmingham). Obviously, what we have
to do is add to the campaign mix an interstitial page that asks for
information so that a database can be pulled from and get donations to
the right local Red Cross unit.

It get pretty complicated sometimes - but I've got to agree with others
that have posted here, the Internet is the most exciting Direct
Marketing tool to arrive in years if it's done right! :-)

William Greene
Moderator, Direct Marketing Online discussion list
http://www.directmarketing-online.com/
Director of Internet Marketing,
Grizzard Communications Group - A Top 10 DM Agency
http://www.grizzard.com/
404-635-5784 | 800-241-9351 | mailto:William.Greene_at_Grizzard.com

This week's Online Advertising Discussion List sponsors:
ICONOCAST and ValueClick

"ICONOCAST is a must read, must route."
Rich LeFurgy, IAB Chairman and Sr. V.P., ABC News/ESPN Net Ventures
E-mail sub_at_list.iconocast.com with "subscribe iconocast" in SUBJECT

---

Got unsold ad Inventory??? We've got advertisers!!!
ValueClick is your hands-off solution
http://www.valueclick.com/host