Google

Taking a "sabbatical" from the internet

From: <keren.solomon_at_db.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 21:43:30 -0500 (CDT)

As a bunch of cutting-edge internet folks, I would like to
throw a question out to all of you who work in or recruit
for the internet industry.

I currently work for a large financial services company,
helping define the internet strategy for one of its business
units. Recently, I've been offered the opportunity to
relocate (to Frankfurt, Germany) for 6-9 months. During this
time period, I would be doing standard "marketing
communications" rather than specifically internet work. I
came from a communications background and am a bit leery
about "giving up" the internet to return to something I've
already done.

My questions:
1. With the internet industry changing so quickly, how much
of a professional disadvantage (if any) would I put myself
at by "stepping out" of the industry for 6-9 months?

2. Would future potential ecommerce employers see me as
"unfocused"?

3. If I did take the position, what would be the best way to
stay up to date and retain my marketability for when I come
back next spring? In other words, what skills sets would it
be critical to develop during this period?

If you have other comments, by all means send them along.

Please respond to me off list (for obvious reasons). I will
consolidate and post the responses I get. TIA.

        This week's Online Advertising Discussion List sponsors:
                   Valueclick, AdFlight, and Streammedia

ValueClick can guarantee you instant revenue on 100% of your ad space
New Higher Payouts | Support for Rich Media | Web's Best Advertisers
Sign up for_ValueClick_now! *--> http://valueclick.com/members.html

                                ---

AdFlight (formerly Immerce) - The Internet Advertising Exchange: Your
high choice, low price source for Internet ads! WEEKLY AUCTIONS,
DAILY DEALS! Go now to http://www.adflight.com/default.asp?source=oad

                                ---

              Evolve, she said. RADICALMAIL.COM
   Streaming multimedia email that puts your advertising back
     on top of the food chain. http://www.radicalmail.com