Google

domain name speculation

From: Stefano Foresti <stefano_at_mark-op.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 22:07:54 -0500 (CDT)

I see no problem in domain name speculation, but I argue
that the process of assignment of an unclaimed name is not
rewarding the creators of value.

Newly discovered land was usually owned by the government of
the country whose people discovered it, and later assigned
to people with some sort of rules (own the land you can
work, everyone gets a fair portion, auctions, ...). Most
land remained public.

In the case of domain names the whole space .com has been
put up for grabs with no rules by the US government.
Therefore, a few bucks of registration has resulted in
cybersquatting and domain wholesaling, exclusively for
speculation.

This would be the equivalent to a discovery of america where
the king of England hires a colonialist to administer all
discovered land, and all to be sold to people: anyone can
become owner of a valley that he claims, for 1 pound.

Over time you start seeing some people killing each other to
define what the valleys are in the plains, some that claim
to own Japan, and others ... speculating on some fertile
land. Did they deserve it? Would there be public land and
planning?

| |
| Stefano Foresti Phone: +1-801-484-3999 (4THEWWW) |
| MARK-OP, LC Fax: +1-801-466-1133 |
| 1432 East Logan Avenue Email: stefano_at_mark-op.com |
| Salt Lake City, Utah 84105, USA WWW: www.mark-op.com |

        This week's Online Advertising Discussion List sponsors:
                   Flycast, AdKnowledge, and Remarq

   AT FLYCAST WE ARE PASSIONATE ABOUT RESULTS. Not just branding. Not
just click-through -- results. Take the next step. Get the maximum number
of responses at the lowest possible CPM. Visit http://www.flycast.com/oa.

                                        ---

 What is the brand effect of Web advertising? Only AdKnowledge goes
 beyond the click to offer real answers you can act on. For details
 about AdKnowledge eAnalytics, visit us at http://www.adknowledge.com

                                        ---

    Interested in reaching opinion leaders in one of the most
       active discussion communities online? Try RemarQ at
              http://www.remarq.com/discussions/ad6