Google

Re: ONLINE ADS>> What a web newbie taught me about banners

From: Adrian Cooper <adrian_at_cooper.net>
Date: Fri 27 Aug 1999 19:14:13 +0100

RAMON RAY WROTE:
> I showed my 12 year old sister the World Wide Web...this is
> the first time she's really paid attention to a web page.
> The first thing out of her mouth, was - what are all those
> things - pointing to the little banners, buttons and colors.
> I explained, well Joanna, the WWW is primarily advertiser
> support, just like TV. She immediately said, but they are so
> distracting, so many "things"...etc.
>
> Fellow colleauges this is why banner advertising is not very
> affective - so many "things". I"ve checked my own CTR with
> Link Exchange, LinkShare, SmartAge and others - less than 1%
> CTR!!!
>
> On the flip side, I've written articles for InternetDay and
> have received over 100 emails just from two articles...and
> over 1,000 hits to my site in minutes!!!
>
> Advertiser spending is going to go up on the web, but what
> about the effectiveness? As has been mentioned before, I
> think direct email and sponsorships are the way to go.
> Simple banner ads, have their role, but the more effective
> methods are email and consistent, content centered, highly
> targetted sponsorships.
>
> For those of us who are smaller web sites, we need to sell
> our web sites to advertisers by using our niche market, and
> loyalty clout!!

I am an active member of many lists, and have monitored this
one for many months now with interest due in part to my own
ongoing service developments.

I think the article above is an excellent synopsis of where
the online marketing industry is heading. CPM/s will
continue to decline rapidly due to oversupply, reducing
effectiveness, and diminishing results for advertisers. $1
CPM will be premium soon.

Online marketing will in my view polarise towards a much
more "results" oriented model based partly upon actual click
thru's, but more particularly on commissions derived from
joint e-promotions on web services such as the targetted
impulse buy.

I also believe that targetted direct response email
campaigns, coupled with various commercial and sponsorship
models, will ultimately prevail as easily the most powerful
method of e-marketing. Of course it is absolutely essential
that email recipients are strictly "opt-in" - that is to say
that they have pro-actively requested, or given permission
to receive material in their mailboxes by virtue of some
type of online registration process, or other permission
based means. All "opt-out" schemes are fundamentally wrong,
and should not be considered or employed under any
circumstances.

The ultimate objective must be coupling the above principles
with content that encourages true user loyalty or
"stickiness", and with a definitive, focussed audience. To
that end I also believe that the traditional "all things to
all men" so called "portal" - sites which merely aggregate
content from others - will not prevail in the medium run.
The sites which will prevail and ultimately benefit from the
e-marketing revenues as above will be focussed, high quality
content sites with defined, loyal audiences.

Regards,

Adrian Cooper.