Google

RE: What a web newbie taught me about banners

From: Olmstead, David <dave_at_hondros.com>
Date: Tue 31 Aug 1999 08:22:52 -0400

RAMON RAY WROTE:
>I showed my 12 year old sister the World Wide Web...this is
>the first time she's really paid attention to a web page.
>The first thing out of her mouth, was - what are all those
>things - pointing to the little banners, buttons and colors.
>I explained, well Joanna, the WWW is primarily advertiser
>support, just like TV. She immediately said, but they are so
>distracting, so many "things"...etc.

There is one important issue here: Who is your target
market and what is the best way to achieve your desired
response?

If you message and method is intended to pique a 12 year
old's interest and it is not working, you have a problem.
If you market is 18 year olds, maybe it is the proper
method. I know my 69 year old father is aware of and clicks
through on ones from his favorite sites and search engines.

        Dave Olmstead