Google

Inbox vs. Online Newsletters

From: Joe Spataro <joespa_at_caro.net>
Date: Fri 3 Sep 1999 01:47:50 -0400

SHAWN MERWIN WROTE:
> >And the most basic plain text email newsletter could be the
> >hottest thing on the Internet if the content is desired.
> >But for my money, I'll take HTML email any day.

TO WHICH ROB FRANKEL REPLIED:
> You can have it, Shawn. I still haven't found the HTML
> newsletter that doesn't arrive with broken links, or
> graphics that take too long to load. I deliberately keep
> FrankelBiz all text all the time, because it's information
> my readers want, not the Mona Lisa.

Hi Rob,

I agree with you. I have a weekly e-newsletter which I send
out as pure text to our 10,000 subscribers. When I see HTML
documents from others, that arrive like "ransom notes" with
backgrounds that muddy the text and weird fonts, all at a
big download price. I don't think it's worth it.

We have loads of pictures and fun things - - - but they are
on the website to which the newsletter refers. If folks want
the pretty pictures, they have the option of choosing that.
They can go to website and see what they want to see.

Also, it's not uncommon that I will get an HTML document
that my e-mail reader (Outlook Express 5) does not interpret
as an HTML document, but as a pure text file, and you get
this unintelligible mass with HTML tags. For the Internet
neophyte, I'm not sure what many of the readers make of
that.
---

Joe Spataro <joespa_at_caro.net>
"all we need is a click a week"