Google

Re: Inbox vs. Online Newsletters

From: Chris Donaldson <chris_at_radicalmail.com>
Date: Fri 3 Sep 1999 09:54:35 -0700

SHAWN MERWIN WROTE:
>>And the most basic plain text email newsletter could be the
>>hottest thing on the Internet if the content is desired.
>>But for my money, I'll take HTML email any day.

TO WHICH ROB FRANKEL REPLIED:
>You can have it, Shawn. I still haven't found the HTML
>newsletter that doesn't arrive with broken links, or
>graphics that take too long to load. I deliberately keep
>FrankelBiz all text all the time, because it's information
>my readers want, not the Mona Lisa.

In regards to Rob Frankel's post about his dislike of HTML
newsletters, I might suggest that it's not about text and
it's not about HTML but it's about communication. And
because some people like to be communicated with in
different ways, end users can exercise the option of
receiving what they want and how they want it. This sort
of empowerment is what makes the Internet such a wonderful
arena, but only if marketers and advertisers diligently
honor the enduser's ultimate decision. But to say, hands
down, that one is more effective than the other is probably
shortsighted.

Mr. Frankel also goes on to say about his newsletter, hey,
'it's not the Mona Lisa'. Well, frankly, there's no reason
why it can't be. As author of Big Time Branding, he might
note that there's no better 'branded' piece of art in
history , and it wasn't accomplished through text. Just
another example of how one person chose to communicate with
the world at large.

All my best,

Chris Donaldson
RadicalMail.com