Google

Re: Domain Name Speculation

From: Harshal Chhaya <hchhaya_at_epsilon.pair.com>
Date: Mon 13 Sep 1999 11:41:42 -0400 (EDT)

SRNIVAS.V WROTE:
> on this front. I am hosting a site for Bombay Natural
> History Society(bnhs).someone has already registered
> bnhs.com & bnhs.org. So i lost the domain name but i am
> looking for hosting in india where domain names are
> free.But though that person cannot use the name and the
> function of the society anywhere in the site he makes, he
> can but ofcourse use the acronym for some other purpose.He
> may for example call it Barbarian nature....etc.
>
> How do i deal with this issue?

Hi Srinivas,

It seems that the people who have registered all 3 variants
of bnhs.org , .com and .net have done so just to re-sell
them. None of the domains have a website and they are all
registered by a local (Bombay-based) company.

If the BNHS has it in their budget to buy-back the
domain(s), that may be the best option to pursue. You can
ask the registrant to sell the domain(s) to BNHS. The risk
here is inflated prices.

The other option is to choose a different but related domain
name. If the BNHS has a slogan or caption that it uses, you
could choose a unique phrase and use that as the domain
name.

The PETA (People for Ethical Treatment of Animals) group was
in a similar situation. Someone registered peta.org and
setup a site called "People Eating Tasty Animals". PETA sued
the domain owners and won their case. The peta.org owners
were forced disable their site (they still own the domain
though).

PETA then registered peta-online.org as their primary URL.
Maybe BNHS could do something like this.

Regards,
- Harshal Chhaya
Mumbai-Central.com
harshal_at_mumbai-central.com